Thursday, April 05, 2007

Captured by Grace Devotionals Day 25

Satisfied

 

“My people shall be satisfied with My goodness,” says the Lord.

Jeremiah 31:14

 

 

In his final days just before slipping into unconsciousness, Memphis pastor Adrian Rogers told friends by his bed, “I am at perfect peace.”

 

Few people leave behind “last words” now because of medication to lessen suffering and pain.  But in the older times before the widespread use of anesthesia, people actually planned their dying sayings in advance.  It was their final opportunity to share the satisfaction of Christ.

 

Hymnist John Newton said as he was dying, “I am satisfied with the Lord’s will.”  The “Sweet Singer of Methodism,” Charles Wesley, said on his deathbed: “I shall be satisfied with Thy likeness—satisfied, satisfied!”

 

Sir David Brewster, inventor of the kaleidoscope, said as he passed into heaven: “I will see Jesus: I shall see Him as He is . . . Oh . . . I feel so safe and satisfied!”  John Calvin said as he was dying, “I am abundantly satisfied.”

 

It isn’t just the dying who are satisfied, of course; it should be the living, too!  Like Clara Williams’ old hymn says:

 

Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved.

 

 

We love the truth as it is in Jesus; and nothing but that will satisfy us.

Charles Spurgeon

 

Recommended Reading: Isaiah 58:10-11

 

***Wow…if we could only be “satisfied.”  How much smoother would our lives be?  I know for me I need to be satisfied with all of the blessings that God has given me.*** 

No comments: