Monday, January 10, 2011

My Granny


For those of you who have never had the privilege of meeting Granny, I will now introduce you to her. This here is Annie Capps and she is my great grandmother. She is one of the most incredible women on the planet. To say that my life has been blessed by Granny would be an understatement. Granny will be 90 this March.

I claim that she will still be with us, because right now I can’t bear the thought of her not being with us. But right now, Granny is in the hospital and we are awaiting tests to see what’s wrong with her. I got to visit with her today and I’m very thankful for that. She slept most of the time, but I was optimistic because she recognized me and knew who I was. I don’t know what the future holds, but what I do know is that Granny is sick. My heart is so troubled because we just got back from Indiana and we have to make up for lost time.

But I don’t want to be sad right now. I want to think of all the good times with Granny. Growing up we spent so much time at Grandma’s house. Just about every Sunday we were at Grandma’s for Sunday lunch with the whole family. During the summers, we would go over and swim and make massive peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And egg sandwiches. Granny would make a mean egg sandwich.

She came to Japan to visit us when I was a child. I remember going to the airport and picking up Grandma, Granddaddy Leo, and Granny. We had so much fun while they were visiting. We showed them all the sights and I loved the time with just them. We went to Kamakura to see the Big Buddha and fed the squirrels from our hands. We went to visit a temple too. I was so happy having them visiting us. It meant so much.

Then we moved back from Japan and actually lived with my grandma and Granny for a short time. Granny would do anything for anyone. If you had a need, she did everything in her power to meet it. She would give you the shirt off of her back if need be---that IS the woman that she has modeled for me and all of us. You never heard her speak an unkind word about anyone. She is amazing. I love her with all my heart and I am praying that the Lord would perform a miracle and let us have her a little longer.

Take some time and let those close to you know how much you care about them. If you are holding a grudge, let it go. Life is too short to hold on to things that won’t last into eternity.

Granny, I love you.

No comments: