Sunday, January 16, 2011

This Boy


I love when I’m able to really see the hearts of my kids, and this week I was able to do just that. Justin had a quite the load of cash from his birthday and it has been burning a hole in his pocket. He’d spent a little here and there, but still had $40 left. I needed to pick up some things from Target and decided to have some “one-on-one” time with my boy so I took him along.

We picked up the things I needed and he asked if we could go look at the toys because he had brought his birthday money. I agreed and away to the Lego aisle we went! There was this Lego Star Wars set and a Lego City set that he wanted, but the 2 of them together totaled up to more money than he had. He decided on the Lego Star Wars because it had 8 Droids in it....Then he wanted to look down ALL the aisles to see if there was anything else that he may want.

And I agreed.

We hadn’t been looking very long when he saw a Mater car set that was $15 dollars and he wanted to get it for Benjamin! I said that was very sweet and he put it in the cart. Then he found a Star Wars action figure that he wanted too, but he wasn’t going to have enough to get both of them. He thought about it for a moment and said, “So, I won’t have enough to get both of these?” I told him ‘no.’ He says, “Okay.”

And then he put the Star Wars action figure back. He wanted to get something for his little brother. Then he was scouring the aisles to see if he could find something for Gabe too. He wound up back at the action figure because he said Gabe would really like it. But he still wouldn’t have enough for all of them. I went ahead and told him that I would cover the extra $2. He was so happy.

My heart was so touched by his selflessness. He could have very easily spent all the money on himself, but he chose not to. He chose to include his brothers too. He said that he wants to be able to get more money and get something for Haeley, Jasmine, Matthew, and Cullin too. We pulled up to the house and he says:

“Mommy, do you know why I like getting stuff for other people too? I like it because it really makes me feel good. Giving other people stuff makes me really feel good inside.”

Be still my heart.

No comments: