Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Captured by Grace Devotionals Day 6

What You Don’t Know Can Save You

God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
James 4:6

            

The November 28, 2005, issue of BusinessWeek magazine reported on the nation’s top philanthropists.  For example, Intel co-founder Gordon Moore and his wife have given away an average of nearly $4 million per day for the last decade.  Sir John Templeton, the ninety-two-year-old founder of the Templeton Prize in science and religion, said, “What I am financing is humility.  I want people to realize that you shouldn’t think you know it all.”

Perhaps admitting we don’t know it all—that God is God and we’re not—is Step One toward humility.  When God spoke to Israel about her future, He said, “If my people . . . will humble themselves . . . I will hear from heaven.”  Humility is saying, “I need God.  There is much I do not know and cannot do on my own.  I’m not ashamed to admit that I am inadequate to save myself now or for eternity.”  Grace fuels humility, and grace comes from God.  In fact, James wrote that God “gives grace to the humble.”  More grace, more humility.  More humility, more grace.  Tell God what you don’t know, and let His grace lead you to a greater dependence on Him.

If Christ was willing to humble himself before God, shouldn’t we who follow Him do the same?

If you think you are not conceited, it means you are very conceited indeed.
C. S. Lewis

Recommended Reading: 2 Chronicles 7:12-14

2 Chronicles 7:12-14 (New King James Version)

God’s Second Appearance to Solomon

12 Then the LORD appeared to Solomon by night, and said to him: “I have heard your prayer, and have chosen this place for Myself as a house of sacrifice. 13 When I shut up heaven and there is no rain, or command the locusts to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people, 14 if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

 

No comments: