Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Couch ponderings...

I'm sitting here on my couch watching President Obama's speech. I'm sure many of us are pinching ourselves to make sure that this day is not a dream. I found myself in my bedroom this morning on my knees praying for the direction of this country and for wisdom for our new President. I find that in times of change we find ourselves scared and not ready for what is ahead of us. And I would be lying if I said that I was not feeling scared and apprehensive for what is ahead. I do not agree with all of President Obama's views, but likewise, I did not agree with all of John McCain's views. What I do know is this...We are a great nation. Today is a day in history as Barack Obama became our 44th President. I did have to chuckle as President Obama stumbled in the swearing in. He's human just like the rest of us. He can, has and will make mistakes. He is no different than the rest of us. I will commit myself to pray for our new leader and this country.

As we watched, all of my kids were sitting around me and there were questions from just about all of them. During Rick Warren's prayer, Gabe was concerned and wanted to make sure that Rick Warren was a Christian. Gabe's got such a tender heart. They wanted to know why people kept opening their eyes during the prayer---I laughed and told them that they wouln't know that other people had their eyes open if they had THEIR'S closed. ;) When the swearing in began and they said, "Please rise." Haeley, Jasmine, and Gabe all jumped to their feet. Then they looked at me and said, "Do we have to stand too?" Once again, I laughed and told them "no" and they sank back down into the couch. Justin's question which was asked many times was, "Mommy???? Is it almost over YET??" He was ready for lunch and as most 5 year olds doesn't really care at all about our government and this day in history. And now, my kids are crying so I need to go.

No comments: