Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Home School

So after many sleepless nights (for me) Brad and I finally decided to switch our homeschool curriculum to A Beka Academy. It is a DVD based program that requires a lot less of me to make it run smoothly. I ordered it last Monday and got everything in last night and today was our first day with it. I absolutely LOVE it. More than me loving it though, the kids love it. Now, I know that may change in the next couple weeks, but for now, I'm going to go with that. This morning I had Haeley and Jasmine set up in the living room with the card table watching their DVD. Gabe was in the dining room on my laptop watching his. Justin was upstairs on Starfall and Benjamin was in the playroom playing with Legos and watching "LeapFrog Letter Factory". I was exhausted by 1 o'clock from running from each room making sure the kids were okay and seeing if they needed anything else. But, I'm so thankful for this program.

It may sound silly to some, but I found myself close to tears as I was able to see that I really have the tools that I need for this season in our lives to home school my children. I was even able to do some "school" with Justin and Benjamin! We made Rice Krispy Treats and they loved getting to count out the marshmallows and measure out the Rice Krispys. I think having the older kids doing the A Beka will enable me to really do some preschool work with Justin and hopefully work on some character traits that he's struggling with. I pulled out my "Growing Kids God's Way" workbook today and I've started perusing that again. It's so easy to get off track with anything, but I want my parenting to be where it should. I don't want to yell and I want to really hold my family to a standard that is pleasing to the Lord.

Joshua 24:15 says, "And if it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

I want that for our home. As for me and my house, we WILL serve the Lord.

No comments: